It was soooo good!!! I made some adjustments and added spinach for a veggie kick. It was VERY filling. A second helping put me over the edge last night. I wish I had thought to take a picture when it was all beautiful in the casserole dish, but here is a pick of the very last left-over serving. Can I say again, YUM?!
Alright, so I have NO future in food photography.
Chicken (Spinach) Tamale Casserole
- 2 cooked, shredded chicken breasts - about 2 cups (my mom hates shredding chicken so I would suggest maybe 6 chicken tenders and just let the eaters cut their own chicken)
- 1 box of corn bread mix
- 1 can of creamed corn
- 1 can of green chilies
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp red pepper (I use 1/4tsp bc I likey spicy! but still isn't very spicy)
- 1 tsp cumin (I LOVE cumin!)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, divided (I just shredded a block of cheddar that I had on hand.)
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- (optional) 1/2 a box of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry - I placed the frozen block in a sieve or strainer, ran warm water over it and broke it up with my hands (or about 1/2 cup sauteed spinach) (You may try broccoli if you like.)
Mix corn bread mix, creamed corn, green chilies, red pepper, cumin, milk, 1/3 cup cheese and spinach (if using)
Pour into a greased 11" by 7"ish or 2L casserole dish
Bake for about 15min or until just set, but not baked all the way through
Poke the cornbread mix liberally with a fork and pour enchilada sauce over it to cover. Spread chicken evenly and add the rest of the cheese on top.
Bake for about 10min more.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Mmmmmmmmmm!
Let me know if you try it and how it goes! Did you make any changes?